THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR 2017 ARE NOW OPEN
Program Start Date: 3 April 2017
Program End Date: June 2018
Information provided below is for the 2017 Research Fellowship and will be updated for 2018 before the next application period opens.
The International Nursing Association for Clinical Simulation & Learning (INACSL) is offering a 12-month research fellowship designed to develop future leaders in simulation research. This unique web-based fellowship will be comprised of monthly webinars from experts, extensive reading and writing, with guidance on the best practices and processes of conducting simulation research. Fellows will be required to work on a research project over the one-year Fellowship Program; they will be encouraged to work in teams of two or three to accomplish this goal. A team project will be strongly encouraged; however, fellows may work individually. The final product will be a well prepared grant proposal for submission to an agency of the fellow’s choosing and a presentation. As a novice researcher, we recommend the fellows seek funding through the NLN, STTI, Laerdal Foundation, or INACSL Spunt grant programs, or some other level of non-governmental grant. One of the goals of the Fellowship Program is to facilitate the applicant’s ability to work in a team, complete assignments, and meet deadlines. Collaboration and teamwork is a strong indicator of program success.
The application requirements are:
- PhD, EdD, or DNP completed
- 2 years of simulation experience (3 years preferred)
- Two letters of recommendation (at least one from a supervisor indicating support of the Research Fellowship)
- A sample first authored published article if available AND/OR a well written one page idea for a study and why this study idea is important and references
- Current Curriculum Vitae
- A one page narrative indicating
- How many years of experience working in simulation
- Certifications, if any (CHSE, CNE, CAE/INACSL Fellowship etc.)
- Professional memberships
- Preferred debriefing method and why
- Your planned research question and a literature review completed
The cost of the fellowship is $2,500.
Click Here to submit your application. Applications are due 28 February 2017 at 11:59 pm PT.
Selected participants will be notified by 13 March 2017 with a Research Fellowship start date of 1 April 2017.
Tuition: $2,500 INACSL members only
- Registration for the INACSL conference in June*
- 4-hour meeting of the Research Fellows at the pre-conference
- Registration at the 4-hour Gathering of Researchers pre-conference
- Monthly INACSL Research webinar meetings. (5:00-6:30 pm (ET) first or second Tuesday of each month)
- Writing Winning Proposals for Nurses and Health Care Professionals 1st Edition by Dr. Sandra Funk PhD FAAN, Elizabeth Tornquist MA FAAN
- NLN Research Simulation Innovation Research (SIRC) course
*Participants are responsible for travel, food, and lodging costs for the INACSL meeting. Lunch and snacks provided at pre-conference before INACSL conference.
Research Fellow Testimonials:
- "The opportunity to engage with a variety of scholars was a feature I liked best.
- "From Fellows, Mentors, and Guest Speakers, each person was truly “real” and “authentic” with wanting to ensure the success of others. Everyone was able to open up and discuss career vulnerabilities and lessons learned along the way of becoming a leader within their own area of practice and research. This demonstrated how I was either on track or way off track with my own research agenda and capacity to develop into a leader seeking to advance the state of the science of simulation."
- " ...two of the most beneficial aspects I would say that one was the monthly meeting with our group and presentations from different experts in the field of simulation. "
- " I received expert advice on how to construct and submit various types of research grants
- "I established new relationships and networking with the fellows, mentors, and simulation/research experts."
- "...fellows developed a collaborative relationship with each other."