COVID-19 and Virtual Learning Resource List
In response to COVID-19 many healthcare programs have move face-to-face learning to a virtual or distance platform. INACSL has provided a list of virtual learning resources for the healthcare simulation community. If you don’t see a resource here that you would like us to add please SUBMIT your resource for consideration.
Want to receive weekly updates on new list additions? Click HERE to join the email list.
- Elsevier COVID-19 Information Center
Free access to the latest research and links to around 20,000 articles from across the 2,500+ journals.
- Foronda, C.L., Fernandez-Burgos, M., Nadeau, C., Kelley, C.N., & Henry, M.N. (2020, February). Virtual Simulation in Nursing Education: A Systematic Review Spanning 1996-2018. Simulation in Healthcare, 15(1), p 46-54.
- Gordon, R. M. (2017). Debriefing Virtual Simulation Using an Online Conferencing Platform: Lessons Learned. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 13(12), 668–674. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2017.08.003
- Padilha, J. M., Machado, P. P., Ribeiro, A. L., & Ramos, J. L. (2018). Clinical Virtual Simulation in Nursing Education. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 15, 13–18. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2017.09.005
- Remote Access Guide to ScienceDirect, Scopus and Reaxys
Guide (including videos) on how to access Elsevier platforms
- Rourke, S. (2020). How does virtual reality simulation compare to simulated practice in the acquisition of clinical psychomotor skills for pre-registration student nurses? A systematic review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 102, 103466. https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0020748919302731
- Shin, H., Rim, D., Kim, H., Park, S., & Shon, S. (2019). Educational Characteristics of Virtual Simulation in Nursing: An Integrative Review. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 37, 18-28.
- Smith, S. J., Farra, S. L., Ulrich, D. L., Hodgson, E., Nicely, S., & Mickle, A. (2018). Effectiveness of Two Varying Levels of Virtual Reality Simulation. Nursing Education Perspectives (Wolters Kluwer Health), 39(6), E10–E15. https://doi.org/10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000369
- Verkuyl, M., Lapum, J. L., St-Amant, O., Hughes, M., Romaniuk, D., & McCulloch, T. (2020). Exploring Debriefing Combinations After a Virtual Simulation. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 40, 36–42. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecns.2019.12.002
Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges one health case free. Public health ideas.
American College of Nurse-Midwives (ACNM) and the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists (ACOG)
American College of Obstetricians & Gynecologist
American Psychiatric Nurses Association
American Society of Anesthesiologists CME offerings
- Anesthesia SimSTAT
Association of Standardized Patient Educators Distance Learning & Telehealth Teaching Resources
- California Maternal Quality Care Collaborative
Free resources and toolkits.
- California Simulation Alliance
Free simulation scenarios and tools
Canadian Alliance of Nurse Educators using Simulation’s free virtual simulation games and resources including a COVID-19 virtual simulation game.
Global Network for Simulation in Healthcare
- Health Education England
137 Simulation Scenarios that can be adapted for online.
- Josie King Foundation
Video and guided questions pertinent to patient safety and errors.
National League for Nurses COVID-19 Resources
- NLN ACES Cases
Developed as manikin/standardizes patient scenarios but can be used virtually. Include video and/or audio patient monologues. Faculty tool kits under each scenario provide suggestions. Includes a variety of resources for students and faculty. Was developed for nursing, however some scenarios are applicable for CNA.
- QSEN Teaching Strategies
The Quality and Safety Education for Nurses (QSEN) project addresses the challenge of preparing future nurses with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes (KSAs) necessary to continuously improve the quality and safety of the healthcare systems within which they work. This website is a central repository of information on the core QSEN competencies, KSAs, teaching strategies, and faculty development resources designed to best support this goal. Case Western Reserve University Frances Payne Bolton School of Nursing hosts QSEN and is led by Dr. Mary Dolansky
- Scenario Exchange
Free scenario exchange for all healthcare disciplines. There are a few video-based activities. You can use the search option to find them. Will need to sign up for an account. They ask you to contribute a scenario to the exchange as “payment”. Some scenarios include faculty resources.
- Simulation Canada
COVID-19 simulation scenarios and exercises.
- Simulation Regulations (INACSL)
Map providing local government and boards of nursing regulations regarding replacing clinical hours with simulation
Society for Simulation in Healthcare COVID-19 Updates and Helpful Links
- Virtual Simulation Community of Learning
Free virtual healthcare experience and virtual simulation
- Centennial College, Ryerson University & George Brown College Virtual Healthcare Experience
Free grant funded virtual hospital with a focus on the specialty areas of Emergency, Mental Health, OB, and PEDS. Include “choose your path” options. Does not include any faculty resources. Was developed for nursing, however some scenarios can be applied to other disciplines by developing discipline specific questions etc.
- Columbia University School of Nursing
PPE for COVID-19: A Virtual Simulation Training” Toolkit
- Healthcare Learning Innovations
Virtual Clinical Simulations / Virtual Scenarios free and cost.
- John Hopkins Medicine
Free case studies.
- Minnesota State University, Mankato - Family Nursing Constructs
The Family Nursing Constructs Framework was created as a coherent and comprehensive approach to creating a common language for faculty, students, and practicing nursing professional related to the science of family nursing and family nursing practice actions. The website is designed to further develop the concepts, constructs and actions.
- Montgomery College Nursing Simulation Scenario Library
Free grant funded video-based scenarios from basic to complex. Includes faculty resources. Was developed for nursing, however some scenarios can be applied to other disciplines by developing discipline specific questions etc.
- NYU E-Learning Modules
- Ryerson Virtual Healthcare Experiences
Free Virtual Scenarios for Emergency, Pediatrics, Maternal & Child, Mental Health
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Geriatric Clinical Simulations (gericlinsim)
Free grant funded computer-based scenarios focused on care of the elderly.Requires an account to be set-up. Includes a variety of resources for students and faculty. Was developed for nursing, however some scenarios are applicable for CNA.
- University of Washington
Free Heart Failure Resources Online Training and Toolkits
- AHRQ TeamStepps
- ATI Real Life Scenarios
RN Adult Med/Surg, PN Adult Med/Surg, RN Maternal Newborn, RN Care of Children, RN Mental Health products available.
- ATI – Webinars
- CAE Healthcare
- Choosing Wisely
- CNA Online Simulations
Basic care slide-based scenarios. Include “choose your path” options with rationale for correct and incorrect decisions. Very simple. Would recommend adding additional assignments as supplements.
- DxR Clinician
- DxR Development Group, Inc.
DxR Nursing SELECT an interactive virtual patient case studies for undergraduate nursing education. VirtualPT Clinician an online virtual patient case study software for physical therapy education.
- EHR Go
EHR case studies
- Elsevier Clinical Toolkit and remote teaching resources
- EM Sim Cases
- F.A. Davis Cares
Free distance education resources, including tips and strategies for online teaching. Request training and a consultation to discuss your program’s distance learning needs.
- F.A. Davis Distance Learning Hub for Undergraduate Nursing
Free access to Skills Videos, Interactive Clinical Scenarios, and Clinical Simulations to develop clinical judgment skills and simulate clinical experiences.
- Geeky Medics
- Healthcare Learning Innovations
Earn simulated clinical hours online and experience realistic practice in a safe environment. Virtual Clinical Scenarios allow nurses and nursing students to master clinical judgment and leadership skills.
Comprehensive COVID-19 Medical Simulation Resources List
Virtual patient simulator. Click here for live demo of a COVID-19 case
Build student diagnostic competency and clinical judgment skills.
COVID-19 Relief Effort
- Laerdal Resource Center
COVID-19: Complimentary simulation scenarios (including COVID-19), safety procedures, and checklists for healthcare providers
- Laerdal COVID-19 Skills Training
FREE Online Training Tool: COVID-19 skills training. Try out the ‘Peer-to-Peer approach’ to skills training in donning PPE, doffing PPE, and specimen sampling with any mobile device.
- Lippincott Docucare
Contains multiple prebuilt patient charts with associated Active Learning Packets that include information about how to use product. Option: Use Classroom Activity option and have students post responses on Blackboard discussion board.
- LiquidGoldConcept LactationQBank
The LactationQBank is designed for learners of all levels to build clinical decision-making, technical, and counseling skills relevant to lactation support. Learners build mastery in breastfeeding and breast health topics through a scaffolded approach, culminating in an on-demand live encounter with a standardized patient through a video call..
- Medical Joyworks
Case Studies and Webinars.
Healthimpact.org Online simulation to onboard nurses. Applicable to nursing students.
- NurseTim Inc. vclinicals
Nurse Tim, Inc. offers a free 30 day trial of their student vclinical product. Includes scenarios related to dosage calculations, medication passes, obstetrics, mental health, pediatrics, med/surg, and emergency. Does not include any faculty resources. Was developed for nursing, however some scenarios can be applied to other disciplines by developing discipline specific questions etc.
- Online MedEd
- OPENPediatric Courses
Free basic to critical care pediatric web-based courses from 30 minutes to 15 hours long Click on ‘Courses_Free Self-Paced Training’. Choose the Non- accredited certificate option. Students and Faculty can register for a free account. Use filter option on left hand side to narrow down options by discipline.
Free resources to support teachers and schools during this time. Free OTIS platform and chat box to assist.
- Oxford Medical Simulation
Clinical Experiences for Periop RNs and Surgical Technologists
- Ponder™ the Socratic Way
"Simulation in a box" by LifeCareSim, LLC. A game that creates unpredictable, constantly evolving patient case studies with problems to solve throughout the game.
- Practice Fusion
- Shadow Health Digital Clinical Experiences
- Simulab COVID-19 Resource Center
A collection of resources that include how to clean and sanitize your simulators, ICU protocol training resources, free access to CVC online curriculum and more.
- Simulab Online CVC Training Curriculum
Simulab is supporting an urgent need for continuing training and education on critical procedural skills by providing opportunities to help transition skills training out of the classroom and to interactive online formats.
- Swift River Virtual Clinicals
Free Trial Available
- The Sim Tech Scenarios
Basic scenarios provides a basis for creating student assignments to match the content.
- SurgiReal Products, Inc.
A free catalog of training videos, suture patterns, and various skills.
- TracPrac for Tracking Clinical Learning
TracPrac® is a mobile clinical evaluation management solution.
VR Training platform for nursing with free Virtual Simulation Recorder available to all institutions.
- vSim for Nursing
A distributor for the healthcare industry including everything from PPE to manikins with clinical scenarios, etc including ones for C19.
Grass root efforts requesting temporary changes in healthcare simulation reguations are taking place in many states. Check out updates in your state’s regulations on INACSL Simulation Regulation Map.
Do you have a resource you would like INACSL to add? Click HERE to submit your resource for consideration.
Want to receive weekly updates on new list additions? Click HERE to join the email list.
Last Updated: 4/28/20
Reasonable efforts are made to provide accurate information. No liability is assumed by INACSL for any errors, omissions, or ambiguities in the content provided. Any person or entity that relies on the content does so at their own risk. INACSL shall not be liable for any losses caused by reliance on the accuracy, reliability, or timeliness of the information. INACSL does not endorse or support specific products or offers.
INACSL makes no warranties about the accuracy, reliability, completeness, or timeliness of the content provided on this page and disclaims all warranties to the fullest extent permitted by law. In no event shall INACSL, any organization who provided input into links for this page, or individuals be liable for any damages resulting from the use for the content.